PROJECTS
 
 
Home Page
• Projects
    ˚Past
    ˚Burial Grounds
    ˚Forthcoming
Resources
Contact Us
 

 

Past – What we have done so far

2000. An embroidered wall hanging to celebrate the Millenium:

35 squares were worked by volunteers, each square representing an event, activity or place in Laggan. The border at each side, showing the wild flowers of the area, was embroidered by someone who had holidayed here for many, many years, while that at the top and bottom was worked by children in the local school, and illustrates the things they connect with their village and the local way of life.

The hanging itself is on permanent display in the village hall, and postcards are available at the village shop, or contact us here

 

And

  Laggan's Legacy. A personal history of a Highland community.

This popular book [now in its second print] chronicles the changes in a Highland Parish -during the 20th century- through the eyes of its residents. It is written by and about the people of Laggan, their homes , their work and their recreation.

 

2003. Photographic Exhibition:

   

1903 – Travelling Folk

1953 Laggan's Women's Rural Institute. 40th Anniversary

2003 – Laggan walkers –Highland Council Archaeology Fortnight

This was an exhibition of photographs taken over the years, marking the changes in the people and their way of life since the beginning of the C20th .

      

     2004. Archaeology Survey:

It was suddenly realised that we had very little record of the amazing work, and way of life, of the members of the Newfoundland Forestry Units who had come to Scotland in such numbers during WW II, bringing their lumberjacking skills to provide timber for the war effort.  By 2004 much of what was left of their infrastructure, tools etc was fast disappearing under grass and new tree plantings, so it was decided to do an Archaeology Survey with the help of Glasgow University Archaeology Research Division, to rescue and record what was left.  This  involved much hard work by many people, and  when it was completed,  a celebratory Dinner was held, at which the widow of one of the ‘Newfies ‘,  recounted what life in Newfoundland had been like.

 

 2006.“Fanks for the Memory”:

 

Campbell Slimon, a local farmer, was writing a book on sheep  farming and all it means  to a community in which it is still the main occupation, and  in October, as Laggan’s  contribution to Highland Council’s annual Archaeology Fortnight, he took us on a tour of the fanks (sheepfolds) in the area, explaining how they were used throughout the year. We also watched a demonstration of clipping as it used to be done, with the shepherds sitting on stone and turf ‘stools’ built against the outside of the fank wall.
 

2007. Stells, Stools and Strupach:

This was the year we celebrated Campbell Slimon’s book on sheep farming, Stells, Stools & Strupach, with a Gala launch, and the transfer and restoration of a C19th  Shepherds’ Bothy, and a dry stone sheep fank, from their original sites where they were becoming very dilapidated, to  the Highland Folk Museum in Newtonmore.

Copies of the book can be obtained by contacting us lagganheritage@gmail.com.

 

2008. Cpl. James Hendry GC:

A chance request by a woman writing a history of the George Cross,  revealed that a corporal in the Corps of Royal Canadian Engineers, working here, in Kinlochlaggan, was awarded the George Cross in  1943, one of the first military recipients of this award to honour extreme gallantry other than in the face of the enemy, when he, and one other soldier, was killed in an explosion in a tunnel at the edge of Loch Laggan, having managed to get everyone else to safety.

We felt that a cairn would be a permanent reminder of the self-sacrifice of this man that was recognised by the King in the award of the George Cross at the time, but which, because of  wartime restrictions, no one here knew anything about.  With the help of Ardverikie Estate, Alcan (in 1943 British Aluminium), Balfour Beatty and a large number of  local people, a cairn to the memory of Cpl. Hendry was put up overlooking Loch Laggan, with an Interpretation Board nearby telling his story.

The cairn is easy to find, since it is between the main A86 road to Fort William and the loch, almost opposite the large stone sign marking the entrance to the Cairngorms National Park. There is also a seat nearby, to allow visitors to sit and enjoy the fabulous view down the loch.

 

   2009. The Burial Ground Survey: (For the graveyards, click on Projects: "Burial Ground".)

A request by a visitor, for help to find the grave of a family member, inspired us to do a survey of all the burial grounds in the  Parish, and we are now able to provide a list of those buried or commemorated in the various graveyards around the parish.  We hope this will make it easier for those of you looking for family graves, to find them.  At each graveyard there is a list of those buried there, and a ‘map’ to help you find the grave you want.

For those of you whose ancestors are buried in either St. Kenneth’s or one of the Private graveyards, there is a large-scale map, with each graveyard pin-pointed, on the glass-fronted notice board outside the village shop.

Photograph by kind permission of Merlin Aerial Photography

 

Homecoming Scotland: a visit by Canadian musicians from Newfoundland:

A group of Canadian musicians from Newfoundland stayed with us for a few days during their tour of the Highlands in the year of Homecoming. Many of those who started a new life in Canada during the C19th,  did so in Newfoundland, and more recently, the grandfathers, fathers, and  uncles  of the present generation came over here during WW II as members of the many Newfoundland Forestry Units, so their visit was very appropriate. The weekend was the greatest fun for all concerned, with lovely music and great good fellowship.

 

2010.  Historic Rural Settlement Discussion Group:

In 2010 we hosted a meeting of the Historic Rural Settlement Discussion Group over a weekend in May that coincided with our own 10th  ‘ Birthday ’. Interesting presentations in the morning, followed  by a field  trip to see sites of past local settlements, and a ceilidh in the evening meant an enjoyable time  was had by all.

 

 2011.   Highland Council Archaeology Fortnight:

Unfortunately the weather was so atrocious on October 1st, for our planned walk to the townships and shielings around  Dalwhinnie,  as part of  ‘Archaeology Fortnight’, that the latter half of the walk had to be abandoned. We tried again in April 2012, on a lovely dry day, and 20 or 30 people thoroughly enjoyed  learning about the shielings in the morning, and the summering and droving of cattle in the afternoon.

 

2012.   Her Majesty’s Diamond Jubilee:

Our celebration of this event took the form of a weekend of almost-non-stop Tea Party and Photographic Exhibition, showing what, and how, things have changed in the village in the 60 years of the Queen’s reign.